• Attended the World Conference on the Measurement of the Economic Impact of Tourism in Nice, France as part of the official government delegation. At the conference he gained a thorough understanding of Tourism Satellite Accounting.
• Compilation of a simulated Tourism Satellite Account for South Africa, including quantification of the economic impact on income and employment creation for foreign and domestic and leisure and business and private and public travel and tourism.
• Compilation of a simulated Tourism Satellite Account for the Northern Cape Province in South Africa, including quantification of the economic impact on income and employment creation for foreign and domestic and leisure and business and private and public travel and tourism.
• Compilation of the Economic value of Tourism in Cape Town over a three year period utilising three methodologies including disaggregation of national data and surveys of tourism enterprises.
• Compilation of the economic impact assessment for the Film and Media Industry in the Western Cape with Stratecon Strategic Economic Solutions.
• Various economic impact assessments quantifying the economic impact on income and employment for various developments and events including for strategic air access routes, national toll roads, a waterfront development on Port Elizabeth, an hotel development in Cape Town, an hotel development in Zanzibar and the Rugby 7’s tournament held in Port Elizabeth and Cape Town.
Air Access Strategies
• Africa to Cape Town Air Access Business Case - Formulation of an air access business case for direct flights between Cape Town and Angola, Kenya and Nigeria.
• Bloemfontein Air Access Strategy - Formulation of an air access strategy to increase direct flights to Bloemfontein Airport.
• Compilation of the economic impact assessment for strategic air access routes to Cape Town with Stratecon Strategic Economic Solutions.
• Western Cape Department of Transport and Public Works - Revitalisation of the Prestwich & Somerset Precincts PPP in Cape Town (Waterfront/Central) - Lead and Financial advisor providing financial advisory, PPP advisory, property demand modelling, financial modelling and technical team project management services. Martin is both the project director and financial advisor on the projects.
• Western Cape Department of Economic Development and Tourism - Part of the consortium employed to investigate the revitalisation of the Outeniqua Choo Tjoe in the Garden Route. Martin was responsible for the market assessment and financial analysis for the project and providing input to the institutional arrangements.
• Southern African Development Bank and the Theewaterskloof Municipality - Led a PPP Transaction Advisor team that prepared the feasibility for 4 property transactions, including an integrated housing development, a resort development, a community precinct and a business precinct. The study was guided by the principles of sustainable development including the flow of benefits to the community and the conservation of the environment through innovative technologies for energy conservation, water utilisation, etc.
• City of Cape Town - Transactional advice on the outsourcing of resorts owned by the City of Cape Town. The assignment included identification of current and potential markets for the resorts as well as identifying the correct outsource model and potential bidders.
• Blaauwberg Conservation Area - Provision of transactional advice on the procurement of concessionaire for development opportunities in the Blaauwberg Conservation Area for the City of Cape Town.
• Witzenberg Local Municipality - Transactional advice on a PPP for the Pine Forest Resort.
• Completed an analysis of the conference industry for SA Tourism including the quantification of the size and economic impact of the industry. Also completed feasibility studies for conference centres in Swaziland, Johannesburg, Stellenbosch and Port Elizabeth.
Tourism Master Plans and Tourism Development
• Development plans for five municipal areas in the Eastern Cape of South Africa, i.e. Buffalo City, Ndlambe, Kouga, Camdeboo and Lukhanji. The development plans included a situation analysis, institutional framework, marketing plan, development plan and implementation plan.
• Abuja, Nigeria - Led a consortium to compile a market assessment and concept development for a multi-use development in Abuja, Nigeria. The development included residential, commercial, retail and leisure components.
• Mauritius Waterfront & Resort Development - Feasibility study for a waterfront and resort development in Mauritius, including the development of an investment prospectus.
• Mirbat, Oman - Led a consortium to compile a business plan for a multi-use development in Mirbat, Oman, including a market assessment, financial analysis, engineering assessment, environmental assessment and marketing strategy. The development included residential, commercial, retail and leisure components.
• Hotel Feasibilities - Various hotel feasibility studies for clients such as Accor, Taj Hotels and Peermont Global in destinations across Africa.